Entrepreneurs who have never used a consultants service or used only one consultants service, often tend to think that all consulting firms offer the same service in same quality and same way. This is totally wrong.
All business consulting firms are different even if they offer the same service. This difference is the result of many factors like,
1. Academic background of the consultants
2. Practical experience of the consultants from previous business management roles
3. Practical experience of the consultants from previous entrepreneurial roles
4. Practical experience of the consultants from previously consulting various diverse projects/ from different industries
5. Practical experience of the consultants from previously working in a professional consulting firm (under other experts)
6. Different consultants or firms, have different processes, approaches and procedures in solving your problem
7. The professional and ethical standards followed or not followed
8. The system of training new consultants and investing into their development
As you can see, in a market different types of people wear a consulting cap, like,
1. Fresh MBA with zero to 2-3 years of experience
2. Retired management executives who worked decades in a single specialisation like marketing or HR etc. Whose methods usually are few decades old
3. People who just feel they have "great ideas", but not necessarily trained in a systematic approach or have worked in a professional consulting firm
4. MBA Lectures who feel their academic knowledge alone is enough to advice businesses in their issues
5. Consultants who come with years of practical experience having worked as employees, entrepreneurs and have consulted various projects and business over many years. Have international exposure. Qualifications from reputed institutions nationally or internationally. And are trained by consulting experts
All the 5 categories deliver value at different ranges. The quality is totally incomparable.
So when choosing a business consultant, make sure their credentials match your requirement and budget. Jumping in for a consultant without knowing in which of the 5 categories he belongs to can make you disappointed.
More about using consultants in next broadcasts.
Best of luck for you and your enterprises!
Business Insights from
Ameen Ahsan Strategy Consulting
Please share to all Entrepreneurs & Management graduates
If you wish to get our message direct, then save our number +91-7558-900-800 and whatsapp us your "Name", to join our Broadcast List.